CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Elegy












Elegy is a perfect example of the acting excellence that Sir Ben Kingsley and Penelope Cruz exude time and again. I am more and more impressed each time I see them. Take a look...





An adaptation of the novel The Dying Animal by Philip Roth, it does not stay particularly true to form but that is not a bad thing here. Essentially, this movie is about an aging college professor with a fear of commitment, and basically a fear of getting old. Sir Ben was perfect for the part. There are but a few "older" actors that could pull off the womanizer successfully and he is one of them.

His life is turned upside down when he falls for one of his students, the always stunning Ms. Cruz. I have gushed time and again about her, and I won't be shy to do it again. She is an absolute gem of a talent. Amazing skills and simply beautiful to look at. She is fresh off a win for Best Supporting Actress in Vicky Cristina Barcelona, but I strongly believe that this was a stronger performance. Perhaps this release was delayed as to not interfere with her run?

Dennis Hopper also makes an appearance as Kingsley's best friend and fellow womanizer. I've always liked Hopper, and he does do a pretty good job with this but I just don't see him in that role. No matter, as this was all about Kingsley and Cruz.

The movie can be summed up in a number of ways, and I would imagine that a woman's point of view will be much different than the man's here. Big surprise, right? It's ironic, perhaps sleazy, sometimes sentimental, but always poignant. It's a good look into the mind of an aging man. I recommend giving this one a watch. It's a pace that is slow at times, but it's one of those rewarding journeys that should be savored. 4 stars.

A quick shout out to the Class of '89 from MHS. It was really good seeing everyone. And to Petros, TJ, Louise, and anyone else out there reading me from time to time, a big THANKS! Hit that little comment button below and leave me a note about what you think.

No comments: