CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Ghost Town












This is a difficult review to write. I heard a plethora of positive reviews about this movie. Scoring a whopping 83% on the Tomatometer is no easy task. Take a look.






Ghost Town is a comedy staring the hilarious Ricky Gervais that gets a lot right, but gets a lot wrong. I think it tries to do too much. It attempts to pull at your heart strings, make you think, and make you laugh.

I am generally appreciative of all of these qualities but the movie is a bit confused. Which is it? Which is the main draw? I am still unsure.

There were a few parts that I actually "belly laughed". Ricky Gervais is very, very funny. And to top it off, I am one of those guys who thinks that even the most average of comedic lines sound hilarious with a British accent. I am a sucker for the Queen's English.

Tea Leoni plays the confused, love lost soul opposite Gervais and never really grabs the role. I am not a Tea Leoni fan, but for this part I think she was given very little meat to work with. It wasn't her fault, it was just a really weak part that lends no believability.

In fact, none of the characters have much to work with. Greg Kinnear grabbed a supporting role and he has been quite good in other roles. He may have been the best of the bunch in this but it was lackluster for him.

Once again I could be in the minority. For those of you that are suckers for the heart tug, nothing wrong with that, you may buy into this and really like it. For me, it was a bit below average. Not enough true laughs, and not enough heart tugs to romanticize the work.

2 stars, but it should probably be given a chance by most. You may totally disagree with me and I couldn't fault you for it.

No comments: