CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, January 23, 2009

Hellboy II: The Golden Army












Hellboy II is an interesting evolution in the franchise. The first installment was special because it had true darkness, humor, and a good feeling of human emotion tied with super hero strength. It drew me in and intrigued me. This one takes it to new levels. Take a look.





Guillermo del Toro is a genius, in my humble opinion. He has put out some true masterpieces. Pan's Labyrinth comes to mind. Pick that one up if you want to be wowed. It doesn't get much better.

Back to the lecture at hand. This one isn't fabulous. It gives into the big Hollywood schmaltz. It feels like it drifts along not knowing what it truly wants to be. A comedy? A super hero flick? A dark look into the underbelly? I really don't know and it troubles me.

Ron Perlman carried the first movie but his talent goes under utilized here. He lost his charm and comedic value. Selma Blair, as Liz Sherman, became too mainstream as well. I don't think tilting towards romance was the right way to go. It lost it's machismo.

Beyond that, this movie is a true visual feast. The Blu-Ray copy is out of this world. Nearly flawless with scenes to die for. The DTS-HD Master Audio is top notch as well. Folks, I tell you time and again that you need to adopt this format. You won't be dissapointed.

If you feel intimidated shoot me a question. I will gladly help you weed through the confusion and put you on the fast track to satisfaction.

As for the movie, it's worth a watch, especially if you liked the first one. It's a 3 star flick, and it's setup for a third installment. Go grab a copy and pop the corn.

No comments: