CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Milk












Sean Penn (in an Oscar winning role for Best Actor) plays Harvey Milk, an openly gay activist and politician in 1970's San Francisco. The story of Harvey Milk's life is well documented, so there are no surprises here. Take a look...





Like I said, unless you have lived under a rock and have never heard of Harvey Milk or George Moscone you know this story. Director Gus Van Sant stays true to form, for the most part, so I basically just sat back and watched some history unfold. There were no real surprises, no twists or turns so I felt as if someone was reading a book to me. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it isn't my cup of tea either.

The movie is packed full of strong performances. Sean Penn was absolutely fabulous and deserving of his award. Say what you will about the man, but he has certainly mastered his craft. Well done.

Emile Hirsch, Josh Brolin, and Alison Pill each added fine performances with great depth. To leave an individual out is really doing a disservice to everyone. Each was as strong as the next.

I imagine I am going to stoke some reactions when I say this is a 3 star movie for me. I just got bored, I guess knowing the story doesn't help in a movie such as this. I saw everything coming from a mile away. However, it's a 3 star movie with 5 star performances so I recommend seeing it at your earliest opportunity.

If you would be so kind as to indulge me for a moment. When you watch this movie you are going to hear a lot about Proposition 6. I recommend reading about it here. For those of you that pay attention to our fine country, you will remember something during the last elections in California called Proposition 8. Please read about it here. Anyway...

Just what in the hell is everyone so scared of? Do the conservatives really think that gay men and women, if married, will tear down the moral backbone of our society? How moral are we, really? And why are civil rights up for a vote? I thought we were all equal in today's society. Far from it people, far from it. This needs to be addressed. Persecution is wrong, period.

This country has proven to be amazing in so many ways. We just elected an African-American President for crying out loud. We can overcome this, but we have to care enough to do it.

If nothing else, this movie will teach you just how persecuted gay men and women have been. That alone makes it a must see. Let it move you to thought.

No comments: